Scott Anderson's career highlights:
- Baystreet Grill (Edison, NJ)
- Teresa Caffe (Princeton, NJ)
- Nova Terra (New Brunswick, NJ)
- Mediterra (Denver, CO and Princeton, NJ)
- Les Copains (Princeton, NJ)
- Ryland Inn (Whitehouse Station, NJ)
- Lawrenceville Inn (Lawrenceville, NJ)
- elements (Princeton, NJ)
"Opening a restaurant isn't new. But opening a restaurant that aims to be new over and over is new," says the smiling, engaging Chef Owner Scott Anderson, about elements, the restaurant he and Stephen Distler opened October of 2008 on Route 206 in Princeton, NJ.
The name is significant: the restaurant will draw on diverse resources, but will look at each element of its palette for direction. Local produce as well as worldwide cooking styles will influence his work. "It's almost like you're listening to the ingredients," says Scott. For this reason, a meal at elements will always be an event.
True to the ingredients, and to its name, elements will feature simple-to-understand chords of flavors constantly reinterpreted. The chef wants to remain open to inspiration and the mood of the moment. A green salad with citrus would not be exactly the same twice, nor would it appear the same way every time you order it. The best analogy is that of a jazz musician who constantly riffs on melodies to keep each experience fresh. Instead, true to the ingredients, and to its name, elements will feature simple-to-understand chords of flavors constantly reinterpreted.
We call it "Interpretative American Cuisine," because we think of our dishes as canvases and paint what feels right, while staying grounded in the essence of the ingredients. The Chef is giving similar creative latitude to the team in the kitchen.
- elements named to NJ Monthly Top 25 restaurants of 2013
- Our critics pick from New Jersey's diverse dining scene to bring you 2013's best places to eat in the Garden State. Read more here.
(posted on 07/24/2013)
- Edible Jersey
- The Thoughtful Chef
- In Princeton, Scott Anderson leads the charge
for fine dining sourced from the locals
read more here
(posted on 06/29/2013)
- What's New in Princeton?
- US Route 1 covers Mistral opening
- read more
(posted on 06/05/2013)
- Thursday November 21, 2013 our 3rd Annual Collaborative Feast
- SIX area chefs will be participating in this year’s COLLABORATIVE FEAST, an end-of-season tasting menu that will help raise money for D&R Greenway Land Trust. Each of these six extraordinary chefs will prepare one of the evening’s courses. So please join us this year for a truly philanthropic end-of-season experience. D&R Greenway Land Trust [...]
- Tues. 9/17 Outstanding in the Field
- elements is proud to be working with the crew at Outstanding in the Field for a 3rd time, and very happy to share with our guests Stonybrook Meadows, one of our favorite farms in Hopewell NJ. Outstanding in the Field is a nomadic dinner party that roves the globe reconnecting chefs, farms, and diners. Diners [...]
- Farm to Fork is back!
- We are pleased to announce the 3rd year of the popular of “Farm to Fork Menu,” a weekly dinner series featuring a variety of local New Jersey and Pennsylvania farms this summer. This menu will run Sunday-Thursday evening between July 4th through Labor Day, elements will compose a 3 course menu that guests can choose [...]
- Announcing our Bar Remodeling
- elements Fall 2013 remodeling: a new larger bar and new menus launch 9/5/13 elements opened five years ago this Autumn, and soon after started to win acclaim from the New York Times, Esquire Magazine, NJ Monthly and Wine Spectator. Now, elements has some exciting news about relaunching for the new season. The restaurant will close August [...]
- Summer classics: dark N stormy
- In my most recent World Tour post, I said that the sidecar was the ultimate cocktail. I stand behind those words but have to pay my respects to several other warm weather classics. Today I find myself daydreaming while at work that I’m on the beach somewhere drinking an all so familiar cure all. With [...]
- World Tour: Pimms Cup
- Once again we are visiting another stop on our world tour and with all the talk about summer drinks it seems most appropriate to talk about the Pimm’s Cup. At this time of every year one of the oldest running sporting tournaments, Wimbledon, acts as reason to consume copious amounts of the always enjoyable Pimm’s [...]